NACHC has declared today – National Mobilization Day for Health Center Advocates!
Advocates everywhere will be calling in to their members of Congress to let them know the importance of health centers to their communities.
Showing the strength of community health centers by the number of people calling in gets noticed, and not just by the FEW members of Congress that you call yourself. Everyone is calling SOMEONE in office, and I am 95% sure those members of the Senate and the House talk to each other (that other 5% is doubt because of the way business has been run there lately).
But, my point was – the members of Congress talk with each other about the volume of calls they receive. The health center story will be heard.
Okay, so it is a National “Call-In” Mobilization Day – how can there be THREE ways to get involved?
- You’re right, it IS call-in day. So CALL IN – use this number 1-866-456-3949 and you will be automatically connected to YOUR specific members of Congress. Stay on the line after you are done with one and you will be connected to the next.
Tell them: “Do not undermine the successful Health Centers program as you negotiate Medicaid changes and cuts to the federal budget. The health and lives of our families and our neighbors should not be negotiated away. I am counting on your support for my Health Center.”
- Mobilization day is about numbers. So SHARE – let your other advocate friends know about today, post on your Facebook wall that you made the call, or invite your friends on Twitter to do so. The more voices heard, giving the same message, the better.
Post this:“I just called in to my members of Congress to let them know I care! We need to go beyond the vote and voice our opinions to Washington.”
- Follow up. So TWEET OR FACEBOOK– find your members of Congress on Twitter and Facebook, post on their wall, or @reply them on Twitter. Social media is taken seriously. If it wasn’t taken seriously, then we wouldn’t be seeing our members of Congress there.Here are a few examples of what I will be tweeting today (feel free to copy + paste):
– @SenDanCoats please don’t undermine the success of health centers when negotiating Medicaid changes in the budget! Lives are counting on it
– @senatorlugar TY for your continued support of hlth cntrs! Pls keep our patients in mind when chatting w other members abt Medicaid changes!
– @RepHensarling don’t undermine the proven success of Health Centers when you negotiate Medicaid changes in the budget.. Lives depend on it!
Mobilization Day is a great way to voice our opinions BEFORE election day. Members of Congress take voters’ concerns seriously, and if we come in numbers then they will listen.
And, this mobilization effort is not exclusive to community health center advocates. The National Alliance to End Homelessness issued the need to contact the Super Committee members to prevent further cuts in discretionary spending for affordable housing and targeted homelessness programs.
How are you going to go beyond the call today?
What other causes will you advocate for during Call-In Day?
Comment below! I would love to discuss further.