Steps I have taken so far this week:
- Began self-hosting my blog with Bluehost.com – fast, easy, and CHEAP (setup my 2 year subscription for williematis.com in 5 minutes).
- Added Google Analytics to my WordPress blog – I used the Google Analytics plugin from Joost De Valk.
- Updated my About Page so that all of you readers can have better information about me and why I am writing.
- I have written a list post before (5 ways to help Military Families) so I skipped that for the time-being.
- Today, leaving comments on three blogs to produce positive karma!
This first week has really helped me to focus my writing and will help shape my posts and make writing easier in the future.
When I began my blog, I knew what I wanted to write about but did not have a goal or end in sight. After this week of following Rosetta’s lead along with starting a new book ‘Getting Organized in the Google Era‘ by Douglas C. Merrill & James A. Martin, I have come to better understand myself and my blog!
So what does this have to do with advocacy?
To those of you who took some time to look at my About Page quickly, you probably noticed that my writing is NOT going to be about best practices for social media or the latest social media tools or how to better your own blog.
My passion lies with advocacy for social change in the Indianapolis community! So why am I writing on refocusing my blog?
Because understanding my focus will help to create more conversation. Especially step #5 above! Starting some positive karma of commenting on other blog posts. Information is needed to create more advocacy and better advocacy.
- How can you call you legislator to tell them to change a law to help the homeless without knowing how many homeless people are living in Indianapolis?
Understanding your own passion and refocusing your opinions helps further discussion!! So let’s do it!!
Have you recently refocused your blog?
How do you advocate for change in your community?
Comment below, email me, or tweet me! @Willie_Matis